July 25, 2017

CHANGE BEGINS WITH ME-Featured post

My article 'My version of change begins with me' was featured on Hello Naija. I want to thank PMB for the inspiration and God for the talent.

Article: I cooked chicken stew and vegetable soup on
Thursday, and planned to eat rice and stew with
fried plantain on Friday. On my way home from
work, I decided to buy plantain. I had just N1500
with me and I also wanted to buy Dano milk and
Indomie, so I stopped by a superstore.
The price of Dano milk had risen from N550 to
N750 and indomie as we all know is now N50
from N35. I wanted 6 packs i.e. N300, both
totaling N1050. I had N450 change left to buy
the plantain which was N400; but I was angry,
because I noticed that since the era of change, I
never came back with change. I always spend all
the money I take shopping. Sometimes, I’m even
tempted to use my debit card. (I have stopped
using POS machines so I don’t clean my account
in a swipe.)
In order not to feel bad since ‘change starts with
me,’ I started justifying why plantain wasn’t
necessary to eat with rice. “Rice is
carbohydrate. Ripe plantain is carbohydrate, and
I’ll have to fry it, which is not so healthy. In
Nigeria, our meals are mostly carbohydrates, so I
should cut down on excess carbs. No much
nutrient in the plantain sef . The chicken is high
in protein. Boiled egg is more nutritious.”
Chai ! See me talking to myself because of
change! Yes, boiled egg is more nutritious, but
haba, is it the once-in-a-while fried plantain that
would kill me? This change eh …

No comments:

Post a Comment

How faith works? From pending abortion at 6 weeks to 7month baby bump...

Gazing lovingly at the mental X-ray of this beautiful baby bump; I remember I was told, when he was 6weeks old, that I had an empty sack and...